Sunday, July 14, 2013

DIY Nursery Part One

Finally my first Ikea Hack project! Usually when I shop at Ikea, we get large items that require very little assembly like a dining room table and chairs. Most other things I get are in the as-is section so they are pre-assembled or they are decorative pieces that do not require any assembly ever! The Ikea Rast dresser was my first major assembly purchase which I didn't realize until I opened the box.

RAST 3 drawer chest IKEA Made of solid wood, which is a durable and warm natural material.For what I needed it was perfect, some small hidden storage for what I have not decided, a space to put bottles during feedings, a lamp and some decorative items. It was also completely unfinished so I had a blank canvas to work with. If you know me, you know that I am creative when I am given options. Coming up with it on my own is a different story.

Okay so my brother-in-law and I put this contraption together in the hallway outside the nursery because we were lazy mostly.


Yes these pictures show it was a little more work than I expected but wait until you see the end result! I also decided to paint/stain the piece after it was assembled which I am so happy about because I can only imagine all of the scratches that might have occurred during construction.

The finished product! I used a dark mahogany wood stain on the exterior sides and bottom, 3 coats. I wanted it super dark to match the other furniture in the room. The paint was Glidden's Barely Blush which I only applied one coat of on the exterior of the drawers (I bought a tintable tester, prime/paint and still had some paint leftover). Lastly, the knobs we picked up from the Habitat from Humanity store earlier that day. The top and bottom 4 are plain brushed bronze and the 2 in the middle have an extra indent around the rim. It has a vintage look I think and I love it! That Beanie Baby was a gift from my mom and there is Baby B's small board book collection. The lamp is another Ikea find in the Emmie Blom shade and the Hemma table lamp base. The total price on this was about $47. Not too shabby :)

No comments:

Post a Comment